Many athletic teams rely on unpaid, volunteer assistants. Volunteer coaches must obtain clearance from the SSFUSD district office including fingerprinting.
Volunteer coaches are not allowed to have contact with students until their volunteer application has been approved.
The required forms are available on this website or through a school or district office.
Prospective coaches must fulfill the following requirements before receiving authorization to work with student-athletes.
- Livescan fingerprint clearance*
- Completion of California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) coaching certification checklist that includes the following elements:
- General coaching education course
- Sports concussion course
- Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) training
- Heat acclimatization course
- First Aid and CPR certification**
Visit the following website for additional information about the CIF coaching certification checklist: https://cifstate.org/coaches-admin/coaching_education/certification
- SSFUSD-mandated course training (new hires only)
- Proof of negative tuberculosis (TB) test results (renewed every four years)
- Proof of current Water Safety certification (swim coaches only)
Coaches who fulfill all the aforementioned requirements will receive an identification (ID) badge from the district office that must be worn at all times when working with student-athletes.
*New coaches must set up a meeting with the South San Francisco Unified School District's department of human resources to turn in paperwork and obtain Livescan fingerprinting at the San Mateo County Office of Education. All coaches including paid employees and volunteers must receive fingerprint clearance in order to work directly with student-athletes.
**Schools provide a CPR/First Aid training for all coaching staff free of charge at the end of the spring season every other year. Online CPR/First Aid certification or training through a third party source are also acceptable. Certain athletic departments may also reimburse registration fees for some online courses such as www.protrainings.com ($39.95) with proof of payment.